THC-laced candy circulates at Rock Island High School, students feel sick

ROCK ISLAND- A couple students got sick after another student passed out what police are calling THC-laced "candy" at Rock Island High School on Tuesday.

A Facebook status that was shared hundreds of times in just a few hours was alerting parents about the situation.

"PARENTS IF YOU HAVE ANY KIDS THATS (sic) AT ROCKY HIGH SCHOOL GET THERE NOW! BECAUSE A HALF DOZEN KIDS HAS BEEN SENT TO THE HOSPITAL," read the Facebook post.

According to Holly Sparkman, a spokeswoman for the Rock Island - Milan School District, the status was blown out of proportion.

Sparkman confirmed that a student was passing out the "candy," before school started on August 20 and that the affected students started to feel "sick".  Staff acted quickly to get them to the nurse's office.

The school district is unsure how many of the candies were passed out or how many students took them and didn't get "sick".

She says she does not believe there were a half dozen kids affected but that at least two were. Parents were notified and at least one student went with a parent to seek medical attention.

The student who passed around the gummies has been identified and disciplinary action will be taken, Sparkman confirmed.

"You need to talk to them tell them the detriment of them. It's not going to help you in your life it's going to hinder you, stay away from them," said Thomas Schwartz, parent of a RIHS student.

School administrators and the school resource officer are now investigating the incident.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.