Residents escape Rock Island duplex fire that may have been started by burning cigarette

Tap here to see a Facebook live video from the Quad City Fire Wire.

ROCK ISLAND, Illinois — A burning cigarette may have caused a fire that burned a duplex in Rock Island.

The fire was reported Sunday evening, May 5 in the 900 block of 33rd Avenue.

According to a post on the Quad City Fire Wire Facebook page, the home was completely engulfed in flames around 7:25 p.m.  Crews closed a portion of 9th Street as they battled the flames.

Rock Island Fire Marshal Greg Marty said firefighters were on scene within minutes and quickly extinguished the fire.

Marty said there are 13 people that live in the home, 10 were home at the time and all were able to escape.

A resident told News 8 that the fire may have started with a cigarette that was burning outside of the home.

Several animals were saved from the home. Two dogs were rescued along with three cats.  One cat died in the fire and another cat is missing.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.