Gas leak causes an explosion at Burlington church

BURLINGTON, Iowa -- Authorities responded to an explosion at Trinity Lutheran Church in Burlington Saturday morning.

Around 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, March 16 police and fire departments responded to an explosion at the church on South Central Street, according to a statement from Fire Marshal Mark Crooks.  There was a natural gas odor present.

"Firefighters shut off the gas at the meter and the gas quickly dissipated," said Crooks.

Crooks said there was no one in the church at the time of the explosion. The two-story church had significant damage on its south exterior wall. On the north side of the church multiple windows and doorways were blown out.

Firefighters remained on scene for more than six hours.

 

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.