How you can help Dress for Success Quad Cities – right here!

Fire at Breckenridge Apartments caused by food left on the stove

DAVENPORT, Iowa -- The apartment fire that forced dozens of people out of their home on a Sunday night was caused by cooking left unattended on the stove.

A spokesperson from the City of Davenport confirmed the cause of the fire on Wednesday, February 20.  The fire happened at Breckenridge Apartments, located in the 4300 block of Division Street, on February 17.

Several fire departments responded to the fire, which happened just before 6:30 p.m.  Emergency responders found that smoke had filled the building and flames were coming from a third-floor unit.

There were 48 people living in the apartment and two people were trapped on the third floor.  Crews used a ground ladder to rescue the people who were trapped; they were treated for minor injuries.

Several pets were also rescued from the building. Residents were allowed in after the fire was put out to collect other belongings.

Although the fire was mostly contained to one apartment, smoke, heat and water damaged the building throughout.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.