Attic fire at Milan apartment prompts evacuation

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MILAN, Illinois -- A fire at a Milan apartment building prompted a big emergency response and a building evacuation.

The call came in at 6:46 a.m. on Dec. 4, officials said. Residents at Milan Manor Apartments had a small stove fire and thought they put it out. They reportedly smelled a strong smell of smoke later on and called for help.

Milan police arrived first and began evacuating the building.

The fire department arrived shortly after to investigate. They told News 8 that the stove fire had traveled through the vents and started a fire in the attic. Crews quickly knocked down the fire. There was smoke and water damage.

Coyne Center Fire Department, Rock Island Fire Department, Milan Fire Department and Blackhawk Fire all responded to the call. Blackhawk Fire was unsure how big the fire was and has limited resources. Since it's an apartment complex, they asked for as much help as they could get.

The fire chief said does not believe the residents from the apartment where the fire started will be able to return immediately because of damage.

No injuries are reported at this time.

Other residents could be displaced, according to the fire chief, but he says residents will return on a case by case basis.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.