Coal Valley family is safe after house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

COAL VALLEY, Illinois - A Coal Valley family is safe tonight after their house caught on fire around 12:30 Wednesday afternoon.

The fire happened at a house off First Street.  It started in the rear of the house and spread to the garage and porch.

Family members say paper napkins blew onto a burning candle igniting the fire. None of the family members or their pets were injured in the fire.

Steve Perry, a witness working on a neighbors house, described the fire.

"I looked around the corner and the house was fully in flames," he recalls.  "Not what I expected when I came to do a little dry wall patch."

Four fire departments were needed to help battle the fire.

 

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.