One Woman Dead After Hostage Situation at Trader Joe’s

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Update 7/23: One woman is dead after a hostage situation at a Trader Joe’s in Los Angeles Saturday, July 21,

It all started with 28 year-old Gene Evin Atkins barricaded himself inside a grocery store Saturday afternoon.

Police say Atkins was on the run from police after he allegedly shot his grandmother several times during an argument. After a police chase, officers say Atkins crashed outsider Trader Joe’s and then ran in.

Hours later, police say Atkins walked out of the store with a group of hostages. Police immediately surrounded him and took him into custody. Neighbors say they didn’t know the suspect well.

“The grandson that shot her sits on the porch with her in the evenings while she waters her grass,” Esther Haydel said. “They sit outside to get fresh air. I never hear him speak. He’s real quiet.”

Atkins is being held on one count of murder with other charges to be determined. His bail is set at $2 million.

ORIGINAL STORY: CALIFORNIA  —  An armed man barricaded himself inside a Trader Joe’s grocery store in Los Angeles, possibly with hostages, prompting a massive police response Saturday afternoon.

Events began with a shooting in the 1600 block of 32nd Street around 1:30 p.m. (4:30 p.m. ET) in which an elderly woman and a young woman were victims, LAPD Officer Mike Lopez told CNN.

The suspect fled in a 2015 Toyota Camry and during a police pursuit, the suspect fired multiple rounds at officers, Lopez said. None of the officers was injured.

The chase ended when the suspect crashed the vehicle, got out and ran into the store on Hyperion Avenue in the Silver Lake neighborhood, Lopez said. Customers ran out of the store, he added.

“We can confirm that there is an active barricaded suspect within a #TraderJoes in #Silverlake. An active tac-alert has been declared to ensure all resources necessary will be available. Please continue to stay clear of the area,” Los Angeles police tweeted.

Los Angeles Fire Department spokeswoman Margaret Stewart said a 20-year-old female patient was transferred to a hospital in fair condition. She was removed from a vehicle, not the inside of the store, Stewart said.

“We are on standby and prepared to support but no confirmation how many patients may be inside,” Stewart added.

Public safety agencies responded in force, with an armored police vehicle parked outside the store and seven ambulances and dozens of law enforcement vehicles arriving on the scene.

Aerial video shot from a helicopter showed armed officers carrying shields and a man walking out with his hands up.

The video also showed officers carrying a person who appeared to be injured, as well as people climbing out of a store window and down a rope ladder.

This is a developing story.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.