Organizer of deadly Charlottesville white supremacist rally gets approval for another one in DC

CHARLOTTESVILLE, USA - AUGUST 11: Neo Nazis, Alt-Right, and White Supremacists encircle and chant at counter protestors at the base of a statue of Thomas Jefferson after marching through the University of Virginia campus with torches in Charlottesville, Va., USA on August 11, 2017. (Photo by Samuel Corum/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images)

An organizer of last year’s deadly white supremacist rally in Virginia has been granted initial approval to host another rally in August, this time in the heart of the nation’s capital.

The National Park Service says it has approved an application for a “Unite the Right” anniversary rally to be held in front of the White House. Other details are still being finalized.

Organizer Jason Kessler’s application describes it as a “white civil rights” rally. He says he wants elected officials in Washington to know that the violence that killed a woman and injured others in Charlottesville was provoked by what he’s calling “civil rights abuse.” Kessler predicts in the application that “members of Antifa affiliated groups will try to disrupt.”

The city of Charlottesville denied Kessler’s application to hold an anniversary rally there.