BETTENDORF, Iowa – Leftovers with an international flair!
"You know, I had a little extra pork shoulder left over so I started looking out for some different kinds of recipes and I found this fantastic Cuban recipe," explained Chef Brad Scott, head of Scott Community College's Culinary Arts Center and Hospitality Management.
"So how about a spicy pork Cuban shoulder?"
1. Fry bacon in a frying pan (keeping the grease in the pan)
2. Season the raw pork shoulder with a sprinkle of cumin, salt, red chili flakes, cilantro (about 1 tsp), and dry mustard
3. Mix together
4. Add to frying pan incorporating it with the bacon grease
5. Add 1/2 cup of rough cut peppers
6. Add 1/4 cup of rough cut onions
7. Add a small amount of Jalapeno peppers
8. Add slices of raw carrots
9. Add 5 baby dill pickles
10. Stir, turning the pork to brown on both sides
11. Add 1 Bay leaf
12. Add 1 Tbsp of honey
13. Add 2 cups of beef stock
14. Squeeze half of a lime into the pan
15. Cover and lower the temperature to a simmer for 1 1/2 hours
16. Stir two cups of salsa to a pan of rice (2 cups of rice per serving)
17. Serve rice with pork (3 ounces per serving)
18. Serve with black beans
"It's just as simple as that, said Chef Scott.