Check food labels and ingredients to keep the best choices on hand when stocking your pantry.
- Bread – look for “whole grains” or “whole wheat” as the first ingredient
- Cereal – choose varieties with at least 2 grams of fiber per serving
- Fruit – look for fruit canned in fruit juice or water
- Vegetables – keep a variety of canned vegetables on hand. Look for reduced, low, or no sodium added options
- Beans – drain and rinse beans (except for kidney beans) to reduce sodium while adding protein and fiber to any meal
- Snacks – choose baked chips, air popped popcorn, rice cakes, pretzels, whole grain crackers, dried fruit and nuts
Makes 10 bowls
Total time: 15 minutes
1 ¼ pounds ground beef or turkey
1 (15.5 ounce) can sloppy joe sauce
1 cup kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (7 ounce) can Mexican-style corn, drained
10 (6 inch) corn tortillas, warmed
¾ cup shredded lettuce
½ cup diced tomato
Brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat until beef is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Add sloppy joe sauce, kidney beans, and corn and heat through, about 3 minutes.
To serve, place a tortilla in a small bowl and ladle ½ cup of the Sloppy Jose mixture in the center. Top with lettuce and tomato.
Nutrition information per serving: 200 calories; 3.5 g total fat; 1.5 g total fat; 35 mg cholesterol; 470 mg sodium; 26 g carbohydrate; 5 g fiber; 17 g protein