Grain bin catches fire in Walcott, Iowa

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Video courtesy of Walcott resident, Forest Burk

WALCOTT, Iowa -- Firefighters had to call for extra help to control a fire at a grain bin early Tuesday morning, October 10th.

Smoke was coming from the fifth level of the grain silo and reportedly started around 6:20 a.m. when a dryer caught on fire.

Firefighters on scene had a 50-foot-tall ladder, but it wasn't tall enough, so they called on Davenport to bring an even higher ladder.

Crews were able to get water into the smoking area once they cut a hole in the roof.

There were no injuries reported and emergency crews were able to return to the fire house around 9:30 a.m.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.