Search for body of man who fell into river near Ben Butterworth Park suspended

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Update: Despite hours of searching, recovery efforts have been unsuccessful thus far in recovering the body of a Galesburg man presumed drowned in the Mississippi River.

Moline police issued a release around 4:15 p.m. on Wednesday, June 7, indicating they are ending the recovery effort as of 4:30 p.m.

“Recovery crews who spent the day attempting to recover the body of the accidental drowning have ended their unsuccessful efforts as of 4:30 PM today.,” the statement read. “This will end the search until further notice.”

Police did identify the victim as Malik A. Williams, 25, of Galesburg. Williams entered the water in an attempt to rescue his six-year-old son, who fell in around 8:30 p.m. Tuesday night. The boy was rescued by passerby Van Thang.



UPDATE: Moline Police say they are now considering the search for a man a recovery mission, and crews started searching the Mississippi River again at 8am on Wednesday, June 7th.

MOLINE -- Moline Police are searching for someone who may have fallen into the Mississippi River along with his son, on River Drive Tuesday night, June 6.

Moline Police, Fire, and Rock Island Arsenal crews responded to the incident around 8:30 p.m. Tuesday. Officials say they don't suspect foul play. Van Thang was walking along the river, when he said he heard someone screaming for help. That's when he says he jumped in the river to try to save a six year-old boy and another man.

"The lady was screaming 'Help me!' so I just heard it and get out of the car and got in the water and I saw the little boy, and I swam to him," Thang said. "I saw the other one, but the water was too deep. I was afraid I was going to drown too, so I just got out of the water. The boy couldn't talk. There was a lot of water in his mouth, so I just grabbed him and gave him to my friend and they took him out."

The six year-old boy is expected to be okay. Officials picked up their search Wednesday morning, June 7 for the man.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.