Excessive heat warning issued for part of the viewing area

Lunardi’s fire caused by ‘spontaneous combustion,’ says fire marshal

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DAVENPORT, Iowa — The fire that damaged and closed Lunardi's Italian Restaurant in Davenport right before the holidays was started by spontaneous combustion, says the Davenport Fire Marshal.

Investigators say that oily rags suddenly caught fire at the restaurant last week, sparking a blaze. It's unusual, but not uncommon.

Workers say they plan to rebuild as soon as possible, and added that the fire could not have happened at a worse time, since the holidays are typically their busiest time of the year.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.