Oklahoma City police release video of deadly shooting at Will Rogers World Airport

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma City Police Department released video of a deadly shooting at Will Rogers World Airport Wednesday after wrapping up its investigation.

"We believe, obviously, that this was an intentional, premeditated act," said Capt. Paco Balderrama after releasing the video. "The suspect intended to go to the airport, find a location in the parking lot on the east side, facing where he knew the victim was going to be walking."

On Nov. 15, emergency crews were called to the airport after witnesses reported hearing gunshots.

Officials found 52-year-old Michael Winchester, a Southwest Airlines employee, had been shot in the chest by a single bullet from a high-powered rifle.

Michael Winchester pictured with his son James Winchester, who plays for the Kansas City Chiefs

Michael Winchester pictured with his son James Winchester, who plays for the Kansas City Chiefs

He was rushed to a nearby hospital but succumbed to his injuries.

Immediately, the airport was put on lock down as officers, deputies and SWAT team members began searching for the alleged shooter.

Several hours later, Oklahoma City police confirmed the suspected shooter was found dead inside a pickup truck on the second floor of the airport's parking garage.

Officials said it appeared he died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

At the time, investigators said they believed the shooting was premeditated but did not release a motive.

Authorities later identified the shooter as former Southwest Airlines employee, Lloyd Buie.

Lloyd Buie

"We still don’t know for certain with 100 percent certainty whether the victim, Mr. Winchester, was the intended victim," Balderrama said. "It may have been that he was looking for any supervisor that worked for Southwest, but unfortunately that’s how it transpired."

We’re told Buie was angry with a number of supervisors at Southwest because of circumstances leading up to his resignation.

Southwest Airlines told NewsChannel 4 he refused to take a sobriety test after coworkers suspected he showed up to work intoxicated.

Court records show Buie filed for bankruptcy in September, and multiples sources tell us he was having serious health issues.

Newly released surveillance video shows Buie arriving at Will Rogers World Airport days before the shooting occurred, pulling his red pickup truck into a second-level parking space in a garage.

The space faced the path employees would walk to the staff lot.

From there, Buie left the airport by taxi, returning four days later and returning to his truck, where he waited for approximately two hours before opening fire.

Though the attack appeared to be carefully planned, Oklahoma City police said it would have been difficult to prevent the disgruntled former employee's actions.

"Keep in mind that this was approximately a year and a half after he left the job so, really, at that point, there’s no reason to be on the lookout or have any type of bulletin for this individual," Balderrama said. "Thousands of people go through that airport on a daily basis. There’s thousands of cars in the garage. It’s very, very typical for people to leave their car for two weeks. That’s not out of the ordinary. So, there’s not a lot of suspicious information that could have been followed up on."

Wednesday, the Oklahoma City Police Department released video of the deadly shooting.

Here is a brief overview of what police found by watching surveillance videos during the investigation:

  • 11/11/16 @ 1:47 a.m. - Suspect arrives at WRWA in his truck.
  • 11/11/16 @ 5:40 p.m. - Suspect leaves WRWA in taxi.
  • 11/15/16 @ 10:19 a.m. - Suspect arrives at WRWA in taxi.
  • 11/15/16 @ 10:24 a.m. - Suspect walks to truck.
  • 11/15/16 @ 12:46 p.m. - Victim is shot right at he walks out of frame.
  • 11/15/16 @ 1:26 p.m. - Suspect shoots himself.