Burlington garage fire causes $70k in damages

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BURLINGTON, Iowa — A fire in a detached garage ended up causing a total of $70,000 worth of damage.

Smoke and flames were reported at the garage in the 1800 block of Edwards Street, according to Fire Marshal Mark Crooks. It happened on Monday, December 12, 2016, and firefighters had the flames out just before 6 p.m.

The fire, which was reported by neighbors, caused significant damage.  An estimated $20,000 of damage was done to the structure and $50,000 to the contents. The owners did have insurance.

Almost two dozen firefighters from Burlington and West Burlington’s fire departments were called to help, either at the scene, on automatic aid, or for standby.  Police were also called to help.  Crews remained on scene for roughly two hours.

There was nobody inside the garage when the fire started, and there were no injuries reported.

Crooks said the fire was still under investigation.  It was not considered suspicious.



Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.