Kitchen fire causes $10,000 in damages to Burlington home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BURLINGTON, Iowa — A house fire Monday morning, Dec. 5, caused around $10,000 damage to a Burlington home.

No one was injured in the fire, with the two residents who were home at the time escaping. According to the Burlington Fire Department, the call came in shortly before 11 a.m. Firefighters could see smoke coming from the eaves of the house at 2122 Division Street. Fire crews were able to knock down a fire that was growing in the walls of the kitchen and had it extinguished by 11:12 a.m.

In addition to $10,000 in structural damage, about $5,000 in damage to contents inside the home was reported. According to fire personnel, the blaze started behind the wall as the result of improper electrical wiring and is considered accidental. The home is insured.

Firefighters remained on the scene until about 12:30 p.m. to deal with any potential hot spots.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.