DES MOINES, Iowa — The Iowa State Fair is known for its unique foods, and this year is no exception. The Iowa State Fair announced 26 new foods coming to the fair, with three finalists for the new food contests.
The Iowa State Fair will run August 11 through August 21, 2016.
Food Contest Finalists
1. Ice Cream Nachos: crisp cinnamon sugar chips covered with two scoops of cinnamon ice cream, drizzled with hot fudge and caramel, sprinkled with bits of chocolate, caramel and strawberries. The dish is topped with nuts, whipped cream and a cherry.
Ice Cream Nachos will be available at Benoit’s Nutty Bar and Root Beer Floats on Rock Island east of the Anne and Bill Riley Stage.
2. Not Your Mamma’s Taco: starts with a golden, crispy, deep fried flour tortilla followed by a layer of tender shredded and seasoned turkey. Then there’s a fresh, homemade veggie slaw to give the taco a creamy crunch, then topped with a sweet mango salsa.
Not Your Mamma’s Taco will be available at the Iowa Turkey Federation Stand west of the Anne and Bill Riley Stage.
3. Pride of Iowa Wrap: a jalapeno cheddar tortilla with pork shoulder, sweet corn salsa and hickory smoked bacon bits layered with cheddar jack cheese, fresh avocado relish, chipotle aioli and crispy tortilla bites for added texture.
Pride of Iowa Wrap will be available at the G. Migs stand southeast of the Varied Industries Building.
New Foods at the 2016 Iowa State Fair
- 5 Buck Cowboy Cup: a luscious layer of baked beans, mashed potatoes and shredded pork sprinkled with cheese in a grab ‘n’ go BBQ cup. Found at Steer N Stein for $5.
- Apple Fritter Bites: an apple fritter formed into a bacll and covered with powdered sugar. Found at Applishus for $4.
- Bacon Cheddar Brat Sandwich: a grilled pork brat with bacon and cheddar mixed right into the patty. Found at Iowa Pork Producers for $6 sandwich and $8 meal.
- Blessed Breakfast aka the Big Boy Plate: a fresh baked buttermilk biscuit split in half and topped with 2 slices of ham, followed with a generous portion of potato bites and scrambled eggs. Then comes sausage gravy, shredded cheese and jalapenos (optional). All of that is served with a buttermilk biscuit to clean up your plate. Found at West Des Moines Methodist Church for $8
- Caramel Cocoa Crispy Crunch: a frozen combo of caramel fudge, cocoa crispies, marshmallows and white chocolate, freshly dipped in chocolate for a mound of deliciousness. Found at Dipped in Chocolate for $5.
- Ceddar Bacon Cheese on a Stick: bacon cheddar cheese on a stick and dipped in batter, deep fried until gooey and delicious. Found at Fyfe Concessions for $5.
- Fried Fruit Kabob: Strawberries, pineapple and peaches on a stick, dipped in batter and deep fried. Topped with melted chocolate. Found at Fyfe Concessions for $5.
- Funnel Bacon on a Stick: a thick strip of bacon weaved on a wood skewer is deep fried, dipped in funnel cake batter, and then deep fried again. Topped with customer’s choice of maple butter cream, caramel or chocolate syrup. Found at The Best Around for $5.
- Hawaiian Pineapple Bowls: half a pineapple used as a bowl, filled with white rice, chunks of fresh pineapple, and choice of Teriyaki Chicken, Maui Pork or BBQ Pork Ribs and sauce. Found at Diamond Jacks for $14.
- Italian Bacon Wrap on a Stick: Italian sausage link wrapped in bacon on a stick, then dipped in batter and fried. Found at Fyfe Concessions for $6.
- Jalapeno Double Bacon Corndog: a deep fried bacon wrapped corndog with bacon bits and jalapeno batter. Found at Campbells Concession for $5.
- Loaded Tators on a Stick: shredded potatoes with cheddar cheese, real bacon bits, sour cream and chives all mixed together, then dipped in batter and deep fried on a stick. Found at TNT Concession for $5.
- The Duke: a cup of grilled corn cut from the cob, topped with smoked sausage, spicy BBQ sauce, pepper jack cheese and topped with pork rinds and chives. Found at The Corn Stand for $6.
- Ultimate Bacon Brisket Grilled Cheese: artesian style cheddar bread smeared with a signature dry rub butter, then layered with provolone, farmer and cheddar cheese, shaved smoked beef brisket, apple wood smoked bacon and grilled until golden brown. Found at The Rib Shack for $7.
- The Slopper: grilled foot long hot dog chopped up and added to a bag of crushed Fritos corn chips topped with chili and cheese sauce. Additional toppings include onions, pickles, sauerkraut, sour cream and jalapeno peppers. Found at Brafford’s Concessions for $5.
- The Strawberry Blonde: light & fluffy, crispy crunchy Authentic Belgian Waffle, topped with strawberry glaze, fresh made Chantilly cream, fresh sliced strawberries and drizzled with white chocolate. Found at The Belgian Waffle Cafe for $6.