Room of pot goes up in smoke after High Street fire in New York

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WALWORTH, N.Y. (AP) — A roomful of marijuana has gone up in smoke during a fire at a house on High Street in a New York town.

The Wayne County sheriff’s office says firefighters were called to the house in Walworth shortly after 5 a.m. Tuesday. They found smoke coming from a locked office upstairs.

Once the fire was out, investigators found 40 to 50 potted marijuana plants under grow lights in the room. The sheriff’s office says the fire is believed to have been sparked by an electrical malfunction.

Firefighters contained the blaze to that room and the roof. None of the four residents were hurt.

A man who lives there was charged with a misdemeanor count of unlawful growing of marijuana and released on a court appearance ticket.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.