BETTENDORF, Iowa — Bettendorf will soon have a larger space for new families.
Construction began Friday, June 3, on a major expansion for the BirthPlace unit at UnityPoint Health Trinity. When finished, it will expand the unit to nearly 23,000 square feet and will help hospital employees keep up with demand for OBGYN services.
Trinity hit a new record last year with more than 900 births in Bettendorf alone.
When completed, the unit will encompass the entire second floor of the patient tower and will include:
- 16 private post-partum patient rooms
- 7 labor and delivery rooms
- 2 cesarean-section rooms, including one new surgery suite
- An expanded neonatal special care unit
- 4 triage bays staffed by one dedicated nurse
- Well-baby exam area
The project is expected to be complete in early 2017.