Copperhead snake bites customer at a Lowe’s in North Carolina

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

photo from East Lincoln Fire Department

(CNN) — Gardening: Calm and relaxing.

Shopping for gardening supplies: Not so much.

A customer was bitten by a copperhead snake while he was shopping Monday afternoon, May 16, 2016, in the gardening section of a Lowe’s in Denver, North Carolina.

The 4-and-a-half-foot long snake was hanging out on a tree when it must have decided it had had enough of that.

The customer was taken to a hospital but the victim’s condition has not been released, Lowe’s told CNN.

The local fire department cautioned people to watch out when shopping for gardening gear.

“This could happen at any store that sells trees,” a statement from the East Lincoln Fire Department said.

The store doesn’t know how the snake got in. The garden center is an outdoor area with large trees.

A store employee killed the snake. And the fire department posted a picture of it, wrapped up in a plastic bag.

The store carried out a thorough search of the garden center to see if any other snakes had slithered in, said Lowe’s spokeswoman Karen Cobb. None had.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.