More than 100 kids given too much nitrous oxide at University of Iowa dental school

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) — The University of Iowa dental school is apologizing for accidentally exposing more than 100 child patients to potentially unsafe levels of nitrous oxide.

The school said Monday, May 2, 2016, that 124 patients who underwent procedures at a pediatric dentistry clinic between March 1 and April 20 face an “extremely small risk” of long-term health effects.

Those patients were given higher than intended amounts of nitrous oxide, also known as ‘laughing gas’ and used as an anesthetic.

The school says an error occurred during the clinic’s remodeling, when a contractor switched the tubes carrying nitrous oxide and oxygen during installation. The clinic fixed the problem April 21.

Associate Dean Michael Kanellis says the school notified affected families about the low risk so they can “seek the appropriate evaluation and treatment if needed.”


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.