‘Sound the Alarm’ registration day – Call now for free smoke detectors

Ex-president of Honduras admits to bribery in FIFA scandal

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NEW YORK (AP) — A former president of Honduras has admitted to taking bribes in the wide-ranging FIFA soccer scandal.

Rafael Callejas, a member of FIFA’s television and marketing committee, pleaded guilty to conspiracy charges on Monday in federal court in Brooklyn.

He told the judge that he had accepted bribes and distributed some of the money to others. He said he knew it was wrong.

An indictment alleged that in 2012 a marketing firm wired $500,000 to a Panama bank account so it could be paid as bribes to Callejas and another soccer official in exchange for broadcasting rights to qualifier matches for the 2022 World Cup.

He previously pleaded not guilty to racketeering conspiracy and wire fraud charges.

Callejas was president of Honduras from 1990 to 1994.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.