Eagle rescued in Bettendorf, IA dies from lead poisoning

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Bald eagle. Photo from the RARE Group

The American bald eagle that was rescued after falling from a tree in Bettendorf, Iowa has passed away.

Watch: Eagle rescued after falling from tree in Bettendorf 

The eagle had been taken to a Davenport veterinarian on Wednesday, March 23, 2016.  The eagle received care there until Friday when it was transferred to a nonprofit rehabilitation clinic in Iowa City called The RARE (Raptor Advocacy, Rehabilitation, and Education) Group.

An update on Sunday, March 27 from the RARE Group said that the eagle was dehydrated and starving. The group said the eagle had lead poisoning. Click here to read the full update on the eagle. 

“This bald eagle’s blood tested HIGH for lead,” read the update. “We immediately began chelation therapy.”  Along with the therapy, the clinic offered fluids, medication, food, rest and quiet, but the eagle did not make it.

A second update on Sunday said the eagle had passed away.

The RARE Group explained that lead poisoning can be deadly to birds like bald eagles.  They can get lead poisoning if they “feed on the carcasses or discarded remains of game animals that were killed using lead, or on other animals that have accidentally themselves ingested this toxic metal,” the group said.

Click here to read more about lead exposure in bald eagles. 

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.