Iowa capitol building evacuated for burned mac and cheese

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

The odor of something burning forced the evacuation of the state capitol building in Des Moines, Iowa, but the source was not fire.

It was burned “Easy Mac” in a microwave near the Senate chamber.

Alarms sounded just after 11 a.m., and lawmakers, state workers and visitors were evacuated from the capitol building.  Firefighters, with sirens blaring, responded to the alarm.

A short time later, the overcooked dish was found in the microwave.  The evacuation was lifted and everyone returned to the building.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.