Two dogs rescued from Burlington house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A Burlington man came home to find that a fire had started in his kitchen. Unable to extinguish the flames himself, the fire department was called to the scene as the homeowner escaped.

The fire started in the kitchen of a one-story wood-frame home on 7th Street in Burlington, Iowa. The Burlington Fire Department was called to the home shortly after 8 p.m. Wednesday, April 15, 2015. According to a statement from Fire Marshal Mark Crooks, firefighters “quickly”put out the fire and were able to contain it to the kitchen.

A total of 14 firefighters helped extinguish the blaze, which started on an electric stove top.  The fire was considered accidental, according to Crooks’ statement. Crews were on scene for about an hour-and-a-half.

Crooks said there were no reported injures and firefighters were able to safely rescue two caged dogs that were inside the home.

There was about $20,000 worth of damages to the house and $8,000 worth of damage to the contents. The homeowner does have insurance.

 

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.