Teen awoken by cell phone smouldering under her pillow

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Samsung Galaxy S5, photo from Samsung.com

A Texas teen was awoken one night to the smell of smoke. It was her cell phone, which had caught fire underneath her pillow.

Ariel Tolfree, 13, said her Samsung Galaxy S4 had slipped under her pillow as she fell asleep and she later woke up smelling smoke, according to a report by KDFW.

“I didn’t think much of it, so I went back to sleep, and then I woke up again and it as more prominent,” Tolfree said.

The burning smell was her phone, which is burned beyond recognition.

“The whole phone melted,” her dad, Thomas, said to KDFW. “The plastic, the glass. You can’t even really tell that it was a phone.”

Not only was the phone destroyed, but video shows that the teen’s bedding and pillow were also charred.

The Tolfree family contacted Samsung.

“We have a reasonable expectation that the products we buy are going to be safe,” Thomas said.

KDFR reported that a spokesperson from the company said their products are safe and noted that the battery inside the phone was a replacement, and was not an original Samsung part.

Samsung’s spokesperson said the company does take issues like this seriously, and has asked for the burned phone to be sent to them for investigation.

Ariel’s burned bedding, pillow and mattress will be replaced by Samsung.