You might want to cut open that juice box before you serve or drink it

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

What one mom found inside a juice box could happen to any packaged drink or food.

Suzanne Hogue of New Berlin, Wisconsin discovered mold was the source of a bad odor in a juice box she served to her son.  Because little Nathan Hogue is autistic, Suzanne says he had no way of telling her the juice wasn’t good according to a report from our sister station, WITI in Milwaukee.

Juice boxes and juice pouches are handy, in part, because they’re portable, packaged so a straw can be used in a small hole in the package.  Many consumers never look inside the box or pouch.

The problem is actually more common that you might think, and it can happen in just about any packaged drink or food.  There are measures you can take to protect your family, and some manufacturers are also changing drink packages.