Click here for Monday morning school delays and cancellations

Three adults rescued from burning Davenport house

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Two men and a woman were hospitalized after they were rescued from the second floor of a burning Davenport home.

Crews responded to a home in the 1500 block of Pershing Avenue around 6 a.m. Thursday, March 27, 2014.  The fire was put out in less than a hour.

Davenport Fire Chief Lynn Washburn says the fire started in the kitchen of the two-story home.  The fire was confined to the kitchen, likely started by something left unattended, and there was heavy smoke damage throughout the home.

"The smoke created significant problems throughout the building," said Washburn. "In any fire the products of combustion and smoke can spread quite significantly even if the fire is small, the amount of smoke can cause very dramatic problems on all levels of any home."

Three people were trapped on the second floor of the home, and were rescued by firefighters.

One of the victims' daughter, Amanda Nunez, found out about the fire from watching the news on Thursday morning. She said if she hadn't turned on her TV, she may have never known her father's house was on fire.

"It was shocking. It was definitely not something I was expecting to wake up to," Nunez said.

All three of the injured adults were taken to a local hospital.  They were "stable and continuing to receive treatment" according to Davenport Fire Marshal Mike Hayman.

Investigators estimated smoke and fire did $50,000 damage to the structure and about $20,000 to the contents.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.