Man goes through window to escape fire in Sterling

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A Sterling, Illinois man was injured when he went through a bedroom window to escape fire in an apartment.

The fire was reported in an apartment in the 1900 block of Third Avenue just after 3:30 a.m. Thursday, January 30, 2014.

Firefighters arrived to find smoke coming from the front of the three-unit building, and they found fire in the kitchen on the back side of the building.

Sterling Fire Department Deputy Chief Mike Dettman said a man suffered a cut to his head when he jumped from a bedroom window to escape the fire.  The man was reportedly taken to an area hospital for medical treatment, and his injuries were not considered serious.

Three other residents who were in the building escaped unharmed.

Dettman said the fire was contained to one unit, and that most of the damage to the building was from smoke.   He said it took firefighters about ten minutes to extinguish the fire.