No more short forms for filing taxes in Iowa

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Iowans and Iowa businesses filing income tax returns no longer have the short forms available for those filings.

The Iowa Department of Revenue reports it has discontinued forms IA 1040A for individual income tax, and IA 1120A for Iowa corporation income tax, as of the 2013 tax year.

The department says use of the short forms is declining, and that the move is also being made “to allow more taxpayers to file electronically.”

The Iowa short forms were not eligible for electronic filing.

The department estimates 97% of the taxpayers who used the IA 1040A short form can eFile for free.

“Taxpayers who may have used these forms in the past will need to use the IA 1040 or the IA 1120 beginning in tax year 2013,” said a statement on the Iowa Department of Revenue website.  Those forms are longer, but former short-form users should still be able to use them with relative ease.