IKEA children’s wall lamps recalled

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

IKEA has recalled children’s wall-mounted lamps after a 16-month-old died and another toddler nearly died after getting entangled in the lamp’s cord.

The recalled plastic wall-mounted lamps are about 11 x 11 inches and have a 7-foot long electrical cord with an inline switch on the cord.  About 2.9 million of these lamps were sold in the U.S. and 23 million were sold worldwide at IKEA stores, through the IKEA catalog and on IKEA’s website from July 1999 through May 2013 for between $10 and $13.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission says a 16-month-old child died after getting entangled in the lamp’s cord.  In a separate incident, a 15-month-old child got entangled in the lamp’s cord and nearly strangled.  In both cases, the babies pulled the lamp into their cribs.

The recalled lamps were sold in eight designs with the article number printed on the lamp’s packaging:  a blue star (article numbers 501.994.49 and 500.108.79), a yellow moon (article numbers 701.944.48 or 700.108.40), pink flower (article numbers 901.944.47 or 000.979.50), white flower (article number 300-746-50), red heart (article numbers 202.256.59 or 801.993.13), green bug (article numbers 101.944.46 or 700.728.71), blue seashell (article number 400-982-50) and orange seahorse (article number 900-982-43).

The CPSC advises customers to stop using the recalled lamp and to contact IKEA for a free repair kit that has self-adhesive fasteners for attaching the lamp’s cord to the wall.

Contact IKEA toll-free at (888) 966-4532 anytime or online at www.ikea-usa.com and click on the Recall link at the top of the page for more information.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.