Melting candle wax blamed for Burlington apartment fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A woman melting candle wax on a stove said that is how fire started in her Burlington apartment.

Firefighters were called to the Burlington Apartments in the 200 block of North Third Street just after 9 a.m. Thursday, November 21, 2013.  They arrived to find residents evacuating and the fire alarm sounding in the nine-story building.

The fire was confined to one apartment, whose resident said she was warming scented candle wax on the stove and left it unattended.  When her smoke detector went off, she tried to use water to extinguish the fire but the fire spread and activated the sprinkler system.

The fire did minimal damage to a small area in the kitchen of that apartment.  Firefighters estimated there was $25,000 damage to the building, though, primarily from water and some smoke damage.

Burlington Fire Marshal Mark Crooks said all of the property damaged is insured, and that residents were allowed to return to their apartments shortly after the fire happened.

No injuries were reported.


1 Comment

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.