Carbon monoxide killed man found in Burlington mobile home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Investigators said it appeared hours passed between the time of a fire and the discovery of a man’s body inside a mobile home in Burlington, Iowa.

The body of Jerry Hensen, 75, was found in a trailer at the Echo Valley 2 mobile home park just before 5 p.m. Tuesday, September 10, 2013.

Burlington Fire Marshal Mark Crooks said it appeared the fire had happened early that same morning, and that Hensen had tried to put the fire out himself.

Crooks said neighbors saw water coming from Hensen’s mobile home, and on closer inspection they saw evidence that a fire had happened in the kitchen of the home.  The fire was out when firefighters arrived.

Hensen’s death was ruled accidental.  Crooks said there were no working smoke detectors in the home.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.