MOLINE, Illinois - Need a healthy, delicious breakfast idea for the holidays? Fareway Dietitian, Caitlyn Ferin has just the recipe. The Healthy Holiday Breakfast Bake can be made the night before leaving you plenty of time to spend with your friends and family!
This casserole is great for the holidays because it can be prepped the night before, leaving you plenty of time to spend with your friends and family!
Save calories by using milk instead of half and half!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cook & drain meat. Set aside to cool.
- Dice onion and green pepper
- Add onion & pepper to a skillet & saute until browned. If you used a skillet to cook your meat, just add the onion & pepper to it. Set aside to cool.
- Tear bread slices into small pieces & place in a greased 9x13 pan.
- Beat eggs.
- Add milk, dry mustard, & garlic powder to beaten eggs. Mix well.
- Pour milk and egg mixture over bread.
- Add cheese evenly across the top. Cover with meat, onion, & peppers.
- Refrigerate overnight or a minimum of 4 hours.
- Bake 45 minutes and check every 10 minutes after that. Make sure it is set and does not jiggle in the middle.
- 1 cup sausage
- 1 onion
- 1 green pepper
- 6 slice whole wheat bread
- 5 egg
- 2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese