Neighbor helps people evacuate from burning building in Keokuk, IA

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Photo courtesy of Nick Stewart, KHQA

Photo courtesy of Nick Stewart, KHQA

KEOKUK, Iowa — When a fire broke out in a building on Main Street, people reportedly got trapped on the roof.

The fire was called in Monday, December 12, 2016 around 11:30 p.m., according to a report by KHQA.   It happened in a three-story building, near the intersection of 7th Street.

KBUR reported that the building was the old Oddfellows building.

Keokuk Fire Chief Gabe Rose said everybody had evacuated the building by the time firefighters arrived.

Rose said a neighbor had gotten a ladder to help bring the people down off the awning.

“It is my understanding (the people) were doing some work, some furniture type work on the second floor,” Chief Rose said, reported KHQA.

Rose said that the building was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters got there.  Flames were coming out of the second story window and crews worked to get the fire contained quickly, to make sure the floor would support anyone who might be walking around inside.

At least one person was taken to the hospital for treatment, but has since been released.