MUSCATINE, Iowa — The Muscatine Fire Department responded to a house fire just before 4 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 23, at 1010 Nebraska Street. Heavy flames and dark smoke could be seen from the back of the building when they arrived.
Three dogs were reported to be in the home and although they were removed from the house, they quickly died from the heavy toxic smoke.
Fire crews remained at the home until around 6:20 p.m. Damage to the home is extensive, and is estimated to be about $80,000 worth of damage to the home and everything inside, reports fire crews.
No one was home at the time of the fire and it does not appear that the fire was intentionally set, said fire crews.