ROCK ISLAND -- Mayor Dennis Pauley announced Monday, Nov. 14 that he will not seek a third-term as Rock Island Mayor. He has been mayor since 2008.
"It has been a great honor to serve the citizens of Rock Island for the 12 years, four as Third Ward Alderman and the past eight as mayor," he said. "I retired from my full time job last year and now plan to pursue other interests."
Pauley memorably won his first term in office in 2008 by coming out ahead in a drawing, following a recount vote that was too close to call. He did win a second term in 2012 by a comfortable margin.
Read More: East Moline alderman announces mayoral run
Recently, Pauley and City Manager Thomas Thomas were disappointed by Walmart's decision to pull out of a long-planned development in Watchtower Plaza along 11th Street. The city had approved several economic development incentives to try and lure Walmart to the location and is now searching for a new development partner. Prior to Pauley announcing he would not run for re-election, Thomas announced his resignation from the manager job.
In his announcement, Pauley cited several city accomplishments that marked his tenure including:
- Working as liquor commissioner to change the culture of the downtown, eliminating negative influences. There have been more than 20 ribbon cuttings in the downtown over the past two years, bringing a wide variety of businesses to that area.
- Making several appointments of women and other minorities to various boards and commissions
- Working with the Safer Communities Task Force to identify the need for a new police station to be built.
- New developments such as CVS, Green Thumb Industries, FedEx, the expansion of Hawk Technology and the relocation of Missman, Inc.’s world headquarters to the newly created Blackhawk Commons
- Working with Renaissance Rock Island to increase the living units, especially in the downtown area.
Rock Island's primary election is scheduled for Tuesday, February 28, 2017. Candidate packets are available from the Rock Island City Clerk's office.