BURLINGTON, Iowa (AP) — A former Burlington city councilman found guilty last month of four felony counts of sexual abuse involving teenage girls is asking for a new trial.
Chris King, 42, argues in his motion that the testimony of the girls was not sufficient enough to warrant his guilty verdicts, the Hawk Eye reports. He also says heavy media coverage of the two-week trial violated his constitutional rights.
The victims, who ranged in age from 16 to 18, had said they met King through his photography business.
King has said sex with the girls was consensual, but prosecutors said the girls were too drunk on alcohol provided by King to consent.
King served on the Burlington City Council from 2002 to 2005. He is set to be sentenced on Monday, Sept. 26.