Child playing with lighter started Burlington house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A child playing with a cigarette lighter accidentally started a fire that forced a family out of their home according to Burlington, Iowa fire investigators.

The fire was reported at a house in the 1300 block of South Central Avenue at about 5:15 p.m. Monday, November 17, 2014.  Smoke was visible from the second floor when firefighters arrived.

A woman and her two children were home at the time, and they escaped unharmed.

Fire investigators later ruled the fire cause was accidental, and “a result of a child playing with a cigarette lighter” according to Fire Marshal Mark Crooks.

“There were no working smoke detectors in the house,” Crooks said.

Damage was estimated at more than $30,000 to the structure plus $5,000 to the contents.

No injuries were reported.