What started as a small fire smoldering in a light fixture became a larger problem that forced the evacuation of six apartments in a building in Davenport, Iowa.
Firefighters were called to check out the odor of something burning in an apartment in the 1900 block of West 40th Street before dawn Tuesday, August 26, 2014. They found a small fire smoldering in a ceiling light fixture. The fire was quickly put out with a portable fire extinguisher.
There was no damage to adjacent apartments, but the light fixture fire was part of a larger electrical problem in the building.
“(That issue) will require six units to be vacated until the problem is identified and remedied,” said a spokesperson for the Davenport Fire Department.
Volunteers from the American Red Cross were helping displaced residents find a safe place to stay, food, clothing ane emotional support.
No injuries were reported.