Shortly after midnight on July 23, 2014, a fire caused smoke damage throughout a house on 47th Avenue in Walcott, Iowa. Now the community is working to help the family of nine that lived there.
“The crib was in the room where the fire started, so I mean, they have no beds, they have absolutely nothing,” said Bridget Geigle a volunteer firefighter, “We were able to get out like a pair of shoes for each one of them and a box that had some John Deere tractors and diapers. That’s all we were able to get out of the house. Everything else was smoke damaged.”
The family of nine is temporarily staying in a hotel, but Bridget is doing what she can for them by holding a donation drive on Thursday, August 7, 2014 from 6:15 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at the Walcott Fire Department.
“They’re in need of household items; towels, dishcloths, high chairs, accessories for the baby,” said Geigle.
They are also in need of clothes including:
- Mens 2XL shirts & 36×34 pants
- Mens shoes size 11
- Womens M/L shirts & pants/shorts size 6
- Womens six 6 shoes
- Boys clothes 18/24 months
- Boys size 10 tot shoes
- Boys size 4T tops and bottoms
- Boys size 13 tot shoes
- Girls 6x tops & bottoms
- Girls shoe size 13 1/2 kids
- Girls 10/12
- Boys 6 slim pants & 7/8 tops
- Boys shoes 1 1/2 kids
- Two teenage girls that need 0/1 jr pants & S/M junior shirts & both wear size 6 shoes
- Family could also use gift cards, non perishable food items, towels, blankets, toiletries, pots/pans, etc.
“Without help from others, you have a family that just kind of sits around and waits for insurance money and when you have little kids, you don’t have that waiting period,” said Geigle.
To donate: visit the Walcott Fire Department at 128 W. Lincoln St. in Walcott from 6:15 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, August 7, 2014 or visit the Walcott Fire Department Facebook Page.