Greasy pan fire displaces Davenport resident

Fire

Residents of a Davenport apartment building evacuated after a greasy pan caught fire in one of the units.

According to Davenport Fire District Chief Neil Gainey, the fire happened around 4:30 a.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 in the 2500 block of East 53rd Street.

Gainey said light smoke could be seen at the front door of the apartment and when firefighters got inside, they found that a pan of grease on a stovetop was on fire. Meanwhile, the people who live in that three-story building were standing outside.

It didn’t take long for firefighters to put out the fire before they began the ventilation process.

Residents of five of the apartment’s six units were able to go back inside afterward. The occupant who lives in the unit where the pan was on fire was displaced, and was assisted by the landlord.

Gainey said while the fire is still under investigation, the Davenport Fire Department’s Fire Marshal said it appears accidental.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 863 other followers