Fire at Clinton business causes $50,000 in damages

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A fire that took-off at a fiber packaging business in Clinton, Iowa caused $50,000 worth of damages.

A spokesperson from the City of Clinton said the fire department found smoke coming from the building when they arrived at Molded Fiber just before 2 p.m. on Thursday, July 17, 2014.

Before fire crews arrived, everyone had evacuated the building, which is located at 1521 Windsor Drive.

There was fire in the ceiling of the manufacturing area, but the automatic sprinkler system helped keep the fire confined to about 25 feet of the ceiling area. Crews were on scene for about two hours. The fire department responded with two ladder trucks, one engine, and two ambulances with 11 firefighters.

There were no injuries reported.

The damage was estimated at $50,000 and the fire was caused by welding that ignited the roof insulation, according to a city spokesperson.