Spontaneous combustion blamed for fire that destroyed Bellevue farm outbuilding

fire truck

Fire crews say spontaneous combustion in a bunker containing hay was the cause of a fire that destroyed an outbuilding on a Bellevue, Iowa farm.

The Bellevue Fire Department Chief, Kent Clasen, said crews responding to the fire in the 20,000 block of 328th Avenue found a 30 x 60 foot storage building on fire. It took crews about 20 minutes to completely extinguish the fire Wednesday, June 25, 2014 but they were on scene from shortly after 4 p.m. to about 6 p.m. putting out hot spots.

Clasen said the building, its contents and a 2012 Bobcat Skid loader were lost in the fire. There were about $120,000 worth of damages.

“The cause of the fire was spontaneous combustion in the bunker that contained hay,” Clasen said.

There were no injuries reported.

Assisting Bellevue EMS and Fire, the Jackson County Sheriff, Andrew Fire Department, and Springbrook Fire Departments were also on scene.

Filed in: News


Suggest a correction

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,432 other followers