Teen dies when sparkler prank goes horribly wrong

One teen died and one was charged with manslaughter after a lit sparkler set a Connecticut apartment on fire.

Friends said 18-year-old Eric Morelli thought he was being funny when he reportedly threw a lit sparkler through an open second-floor apartment window Sunday, June 22, 2014, according to WFSB.

Morelli was reportedly trying to wake up a friend when he threw the lit firework. Instead, the sparkler started a fire that killed his friend’s sister, 19-year-old Kristen Milano.   She reportedly died of smoke inhalation.

Others described Morelli as someone who didn’t always think about his actions.

“He just goes off and does what he wants to do at that time,” said neighbor Brian Goralnik.

Police said Morelli was released after posting bond. He was charged with manslaughter and three counts of reckless endangerment.