(CNN) — Authorities spent Wednesday night trying to hunt down a man who, they say, fatally shot three of their officers and wounded two others in the Canadian province of New Brunswick.
In a tweet around 10:30 p.m., the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in New Brunswick indicated the shooter was still at large in the Pinehurst subdivision area of Moncton.
About an hour earlier, they’d alerted those in Moncton — a city of just over 100,000 people some 90 miles (150 kilometers) northeast of St. John and 150 miles north of Halifax — to take precautions.
“Stay inside lock your doors,” read that tweet. “Stay safe. Motorist stay away from area.”
The RCMP has identified the suspect as 24-year-old Justin Bourque, warning that the Moncton resident should be considered armed and dangerous. It posted a photograph of a man dressed in fatigues, carrying what appeared to be a rifle.
Helicopters were flying over the neighborhood, according to Isabelle LeBlanc, spokeswoman for the City of Moncton. She lives in the area that is currently on lockdown.
All entrances to the neighborhood are blocked off, she said. Her husband has not been able to reach their home.
She said some buses have been pulled off the road because of the concern for public safety.
At least two people who suffered gunshot wounds and were taken to The Moncton Hospital, health authority spokeswoman Carolyn McCormack said. The hospital later added that a third gunshot victim had been admitted.
It was not immediately clear if those were among the five police officers who have been shot, including three fatally.
“(The hospital) is restricting visitors to those with critically ill family members,” an affiliated Facebook page noted. “All others are asked to refrain from visiting at this time.”
CNN’s Kevin Conlon, AnneClaire Stapleton and Elizabeth Landers contributed to this report.