Gates rehung at historic cemetery in Davenport

(l to r:  Welding contractor Ray Verbraak, Oakdale grounds employee Steve Baumer, Oakdale sexton Adam Costello and Reed Storjohann of Bortec Inc.)  photo provided by Dustin Oliver

(l to r: Welding contractor Ray Verbraak, Oakdale grounds employee Steve Baumer, Oakdale sexton Adam Costello and Reed Storjohann of Bortec Inc.) photo provided by Dustin Oliver

(l to r:  Welding contractor Ray Verbraak, Oakdale grounds employee Steve Baumer, Oakdale sexton Adam Costello and Reed Storjohann of Bortec Inc.)  photo provided by Dustin Oliver

(l to r: Welding contractor Ray Verbraak, Oakdale grounds employee Steve Baumer, Oakdale sexton Adam Costello and Reed Storjohann of Bortec Inc.) photo provided by Dustin Oliver

Years after repair work began on roads at the historic Oakdale Memorial Gardens cemetery, the wrought iron entrance gates are again in place.

The land now occupied by Oakdale Memorial Gardens was once the original Scott County Fairgrounds according to Dustin Oliver, Oakdale Memorial Gardens’ volunteer historian.

Architect Edward Hammatt, who also designed Kemper Hall at Davenport Central as well as classroom and gymnasium additions to the old St. Katherine’s/St. Mark’s, created the plan for the entrance gates to Oakdale Memorial Gardens.  The plan was approved in 1895 and the gates were completed in late 1896.

The iron gates were taken down from the entrance in 2009, so blacktop could be laid on several roads in the eight-acre cemetery, including the primary road from Eastern Avenue.

The gates were also repaired, and they were rehung Monday, June 2, 2014.

 

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 948 other followers