Get the latest local radar – click here

Rutgers dismisses quarterback after assault charges

Philip Nelson photo from Blue Earth County, Minnesota Jail

Philip Nelson photo from Blue Earth County, Minnesota Jail

(CNN) — Rutgers quarterback Philip Nelson has been dismissed from the football team, the school’s coach said Tuesday.

Nelson had been arrested Sunday and charged in connection with an assault that left a man in critical condition.

“The Rutgers football family’s thoughts and prayers are with Isaac Kolstad and his family,” football coach Kyle Flood said, referring to the young man whom Nelson is accused of assaulting.

Nelson, 20, faces one count of first-degree assault and one count of third-degree assault.

On Tuesday, authorities in Minnesota arrested a second person in connection with the assault, a Mankato, Minnesota, city spokeswoman said. The identity and charges facing the second person were not immediately released.

Officers found Kolstad, who graduated in December, near a downtown intersection. He was transported by ambulance to a local hospital.

Kolstad, 24, a former linebacker at Minnesota State University, Mankato, was in critical condition after suffering a severe head injury, his family said.

Nelson was a recent transfer to Rutgers. A native of Mankato, Minnesota, he played at the University of Minnesota, according to Rutgers’ website. Nelson never played a down for Rutgers before his dismissal.

CNN’s Mariano Castillo and Dana Ford contributed to this report.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 871 other followers