‘Scandal’ actor Columbus Short leaving show
LOS ANGELES (CNN) — Days after Columbus Short’s wife publicly alleged he threatened to kill her and himself with a knife, the actor on the hit ABC TV series “Scandal” has called it quits.
“At this time I must confirm my exit from a show I’ve called home for 3 years, with what is the most talented ensemble on television today,” said Short in an official statement released by his publicist on Friday.
Short, 31, has played Harrison Wright, a member of fixer Olivia Pope’s team since the Season 1 of the show.
Recently, Short’s personal life has been also been in the spotlight.
Last week the actor’s wife, Tanee Short, filed an affidavit asking for a restraining order to keep her husband away from her and their 2-year-old daughter. She also filed for divorce from her husband of almost nine years, citing irreconcilable differences. A judge signed a temporary restraining order and set a hearing for May 6 to decide whether it would be extended.
“As much as I would like to provide my side of events, my counsel has instructed me that a Court of law is the only and proper venue to deal with such matters,” Short said at the time, in a statement released to CNN through his publicist. “Accordingly, I must refrain from making any comments even though that is very difficult for me under the circumstances.”
The actor has been to jail at least three times in the past three months after accusations of violence, according to court filings.
The Season 3 finale of “Scandal” aired April 17 on ABC. Just like the plot of the show, the premiere date of Season 4 of the hit series remains a cliffhanger.