Kitchen fire makes Moline home unlivable

Moline house fire, 2-18-14, WQAD Photo

Moline house fire, 2-18-14, WQAD Photo

A Moline home has been deemed unlivable after a fire started in its kitchen.

The Moline Fire Department said on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 a home on the 1000-block of 40th Street started on fire. Two people were home at the time and got out after they began to smell smoke.

Officials said the fire was caused by cooking oil that overheated in the kitchen.

One of the residents was taken to an area hospital to be treated for non-life threatening injuries.

Fire crews were able to extinguish the fire within five minutes of arriving. Damage to the structure was considered moderate but it had heavy smoke and water damage.

“All utilities were disconnected and the home is currently uninhabitable,” said a spokesperson from the Moline Fire Department.

According to the Incident Commander, the value of the building and contents that was saved was $80,000.

The American Red Cross stepped in to help the family.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 888 other followers